There were two recipes that I wanted to veganize when I started this Plant-Based Persian blog. The first was Noon-e-Khamei (Persian Cream Puffs) and the second was Bastani (Persian Ice Cream). I can retire from blogging now. 🙂 It is really exciting to recreate Iranian desserts without diary and eggs and without losing the delicious flavors.
This recipe does require an ice cream maker. I have an ice cream maker from Cuisinart, which works well. I also used Silk Heavy Whipping Cream to replace the heavy cream in traditional ice cream made with dairy. I avoided using coconut cream since it will add a coconut flavor to the ice cream, which is not found in traditional Persian Bastani.
I also recommend using the ice cream within five (5) days as it does become harder and ice crystals can form over an extended period. Luckily, with my large family, eating the ice cream is not a problem.
As it can be very hard to find dairy-free Bastani, I can’t remember the last time I had Persian ice cream or if my children have ever had it. My daughter taste tested this recipe and said it was her new favorite ice cream flavor – Persian. 🙂 We hope you can give this recipe a try and enjoy the delicious flavors of rosewater and saffron. You can get both rosewater and saffron at specialty Persian, Middle Eastern, and Afghan stores. I have even seen it at Whole Foods.
“The optimist sees the rose and not its thorns; the pessimist stares at the thorns, oblivious to the rose.” – Khalil GibranPrint
A dairy-free Persian ice cream with flavors of rosewater, saffron, and pistachio
- Place the Silk heavy cream, soy milk, and sugar in a high-speed blender and blend for 30 seconds to dissolve the sugar.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl. Add the vanilla, rosewater, and Brewed Saffron, and whisk to combine.
- Add to the pre-chilled* ice cream churning bowl, and churn according to manufacturer’s instructions – my Cuisinart is about 25 minutes. It should look like soft serve (see video below).
- Once churned, transfer the ice cream to a medium freezer container, and freeze for 2 hours.
- Best when fresh, but will keep in the freezer for about 5 days.
- Noosh-e-Jan! Enjoy!
*The day before, place your ice cream churning bowl in the freezer to properly chill.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 145 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Dessert, Rosewater, Ice Cream, Bastani, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, plant-based