Rainbow sprinkles remind me of summer; childhood memories of soft serve ice cream covered in specks of color. Desserts always seems more joyous, fun, delicious, when covered in rainbow sprinkles.
It is no wonder then that the first recipe I tried from my vegan Italian cookbook, Mangiamo, were the sprinkle-covered Italian Love Knots. I of course could never master the knots, but these basic sprinkle cookies are still delicious and lovely.
I recently made the cookies for two different birthday parties where there were children with nut, dairy, and/or egg allergies, and the cookies were a hit. To replace the eggs, I use Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer, and it works fantastic. For the butter, I use Earth Balance vegan butter sticks. Both are allergy friendly as they do not contain nuts.
I love how easy it is now to find vegan alternatives to everything. I am also excited by all the amazing vegan recipes from cultures all over the world from Iranian to Italian. My kids actually love Italian food. Lunch typically involves pizza or pasta – vegan mac-n-cheese, pizza, tofu Bolognese, Kitehill Ravioli and Tortellini, tofu alfredo, and pesto pasta. Anything you can eat, you can eat vegan.
These vegan (Italian Love Knot-inspired) sprinkle cookies are also one of our favorite recipes, and my son says it is impossible to eat just one. Luckily, they are small! 🙂
“Children are the most precious treasure a community can possess, for in them are the promise and guarantee of the future.” – Baha’i TeachingsPrint
Allergy-friendly, sprinkle cookies
- 3/4 cup vegan butter (melted)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 “Vegan Eggs”
- 3 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer mixed with 6 Tbsp. water – let sit for 5 minutes
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- 6 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2–3 Tbsp dairy-free milk (plus more as needed)
- Rainbow sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prepare the Vegan Eggs.
- In a medium bowl, combine the melted butter, sugar, Vegan Eggs, and vanilla – the “Wet Ingredients.”
- In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt – the “Dry Ingredients”
- In a stand mixer, use the dough hook attachment, and add the Wet Ingredients. Running the mixer on medium/low setting, slowly add the Dry Ingredients. Once the Dry Ingredients are incorporated, slowly add the warm water. Continue to mix on the medium/low setting until a dough forms.
- Break off small pieces of dough and roll into 1 inch balls. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 13-15 minutes. Let them cool completely.
- For the icing, mix the powdered sugar and dairy-free milk in a medium bowl. Add more dairy-free milk (little by little) as needed to reach the desired consistency. You want it to be thick and white.
- Once completely cooled, dip the cookies upside down into the icing, then turn them over and add sprinkles. Place on wax paper to let the icing dry and harden before serving.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Vegan, Dairy-free, Egg-free, Cookies, Italian, Sprinkles