We are finally back in our home after living in an apartment the last 13 months, and I was so excited to start grilling, but when we pulled out the BBQ grill, it was covered in grease, fat, and leftover meat from prior Airbnb guests renting our home. Unfortunately, the grill was too disgusting to salvage so we are waiting for the new grill that we ordered.
We will update our post once we are able to actually grill again, but due to high demand, I am sharing below our recipe for the Beyond Beef kabobs we prepared in the oven.
We have prepared these kabobs in a few different variations. Our favorite is the recipe below, but the kabobs can also be prepared without the potato. As I have not eaten red meat in 28 years, the kabob without the potato was a bit too heavy for me. I prefer to add the potato to absorb some of the oil.
Let us know if you try this recipe and tag us on social media! We would love to see your creation!Print
A kinder, plant-based kabob
- 16 oz package of Beyond Beef (plant-based ground)
- 1 small Russet potato
- 1/2 small red onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Peel potato, chop and place in small pot filled with water. Cover and cook on high heat for 10-15 minutes until potato is tender. Rinse the potato under cold water, and let the potato cool down a few minutes. Mash the potato well.
- Grate the red onion and add to the mashed potato. Mix well.
- Add the Beyond Beef to the red onion/potato mixture. Combine by hand. Add the salt, pepper, turmeric, and lemon juice, and combine by hand until well blended.
- Oil a baking sheet very lightly. Use your hands to create long kabobs and place on baking sheet. Should yield abut 7 kabobs.
- Bake in the oven for about 5 minutes. Flip each kabob and bake another 5 minutes. Set oven to broil and cook for a final 3 minutes on broil.
- Add a dash of sumac (optional). Serve with Persian rice or lavash bread.
If you would like to also include roasted tomatoes with your kabobs, take 6-7 small vine or Roma tomatoes, toss with 1 tsp. cooking oil, 1/2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Bake in the oven on 350F for 20 minutes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Persian, Iranian, Kabob, vegetarian