Growing up, my aunt made Noon-e-Khamei, and it was my favorite Persian dessert as a child. It is a Persian recipe I have wanted to veganize for many years. I had no idea how challenging it would be as the traditional Persian recipe calls for 4-5 eggs. Then I discovered Just Egg. It is a fantastic egg replacer in several of our plant-based Persian dishes. Three (3) tablespoons of Just Egg is roughly the equivalent of one (1) egg.
For the cream in the pastry, you can choose your dairy-free whipped cream recipe of choice and add 1 Tbsp rosewater. Our recipe below is a coconut-based whipped cream recipe, but you could also use Silk Whipping Cream if available to you. Just replace the coconut cream with 1 cup of Silk Whipping Cream.
Rosewater can be found at Persian and Afghan stores, but it is also available on Amazon and even at Whole Foods.
We hope you enjoy this delicious, rosewater-infused plant-based Persian dessert.
“Don’t waste time looking at the thorns or you’ll miss the roses.”
― Matshona Dhliwayo
A vegan Persian cream puff
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 Tbsp Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 1 /2 tsp vanilla
- 14 oz can coconut cream (chilled overnight)
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 1 Tbsp rosewater
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Add the water, sugar and butter to a medium pot and bring to a boil, stirring to melt the butter.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the flour. Work quickly to mix with a wooden spoon until a soft ball of dough forms.
- Put the pot back on low heat for 2-3 minutes to get rid of some of the moisture, stirring continuously.
- Put the dough in a mixer bowl and let cool for `15-20 minutes.
- Attach the paddle attachment, and with the mixer on medium speed, add the 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp rosewater.
- Now add the Just Egg, one (1) Tbsp at a time. Blend fully before adding the next Tbsp.
- Use a spatula to fill a large pastry bag with the batter. Use about a 1-inch diameter tip.
- Pipe the batter out in a spiral pattern into 2-inch circles onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake on the center rack of the 400⁰ preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350⁰ and continue baking for another 15 minutes (or until golden on top).
- Immediately use a sharp knife to partially cut the tops. This helps release steam and the opening will be used to fill the shells with cream. Let cool completely.
- Put a bowl and whisk attachment in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Scrape out the top, thickened chilled coconut cream and leave the liquid behind
- Add the coconut cream to the chilled bowl with a whisk attachment, and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and rosewater. Beat on medium low speed until soft peaks start forming. Use immediately or refrigerate.
- Fill the cooled shells with the whipped cream using a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- Dust the tops with powdered sugar. Serve within a few hours.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Persian
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Dessert, Rosewater, Cream Puffs, Noon-e-Khamei, dairy-free, egg-free