A vegan Persian cream puff
- 1 cup water
- 6 Tbsp plant-based butter
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 Tbsp Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 tsp rosewater
- 1 /2 tsp vanilla
- 14 oz can coconut cream (chilled overnight)
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar (plus more for dusting)
- 1 Tbsp rosewater
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Add the water, sugar and butter to a medium pot and bring to a boil, stirring to melt the butter.
- Remove the pot from heat and add the flour. Work quickly to mix with a wooden spoon until a soft ball of dough forms.
- Put the pot back on low heat for 2-3 minutes to get rid of some of the moisture, stirring continuously.
- Put the dough in a mixer bowl and let cool for `15-20 minutes.
- Attach the paddle attachment, and with the mixer on medium speed, add the 1/2 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp rosewater.
- Now add the Just Egg, one (1) Tbsp at a time. Blend fully before adding the next Tbsp.
- Use a spatula to fill a large pastry bag with the batter. Use about a 1-inch diameter tip.
- Pipe the batter out in a spiral pattern into 2-inch circles onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake on the center rack of the 400⁰ preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Without opening the oven door, reduce the temperature to 350⁰ and continue baking for another 15 minutes (or until golden on top).
- Immediately use a sharp knife to partially cut the tops. This helps release steam and the opening will be used to fill the shells with cream. Let cool completely.
- Put a bowl and whisk attachment in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.
- Scrape out the top, thickened chilled coconut cream and leave the liquid behind
- Add the coconut cream to the chilled bowl with a whisk attachment, and beat for about 30 seconds.
- Add powdered sugar, vanilla and rosewater. Beat on medium low speed until soft peaks start forming. Use immediately or refrigerate.
- Fill the cooled shells with the whipped cream using a pastry bag fitted with a small tip.
- Dust the tops with powdered sugar. Serve within a few hours.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Persian
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Dessert, Rosewater, Cream Puffs, Noon-e-Khamei, dairy-free, egg-free