I am SO excited to finally have a plant-based Mac & Cheese that my kids will eat. Honestly, box Mac & Cheese was the only dairy product we still had in our home because my kids loved it soooo much.
Being home over the last four (4) months, however, I have been able to try so many plant-based Mac & Cheese recipes in hopes of finally eliminating dairy in our home. Each recipe failed, however, as my kids asked how many more bites they had to eat.
The truth is that all the recipes I was trying with squash, carrots, potatoes, cashews, or nutritional yeast were just too “healthy.” Mac & Cheese is not a health food. It is comfort food. So I decided I needed to just go back to basics; take a regular, dairy-filled Mac & Cheese recipe and veganize it with plant-based alternatives. I spotted a one-pot Mac & Cheese recipe on my favorite gluten-free pasta, Jovial, and gave it a try with plant-based milk, butter, and cheeses. It came out amazing! My kids LOVED it! On a scale of 1 to 10, they gave it a 30! They always ask for the “yummy Mac & Cheese” now, and I am SO happy to finally have a dairy-free household! 🙂
Give the recipe below a try, and let us know if your kids love it too!
P.S. Mac & Cheese is not just for kids. I love eating this recipe also with a dash of paprika or hot sauce!Print
Easy, delicious vegan Mac n Cheese
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups of unsweetened, plain plant-based milk (I use organic soy milk)
- 2 Tbsp. plant-based butter (I use Earth Balance or Miyokos)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 cups of grated plant-based cheddar (I use Violife)
- 1/2 cup of grated plant-based parmesan (I use Violife)
- 12 oz of elbow pasta (I use Jovial gluten-free elbow pasta)
- Slowly bring the water, plant-based milk and butter, and salt to a boil in a medium pot. I recommend stirring occasionally to prevent a skin forming from the milk. If it does, just spoon out.
- Add 12 oz of pasta, and stir until the water and plant-based milk come to a boil again.
- Lower the heat to keep a slow boil, stirring occasionally. Cook the pasta for about 2-3 minutes longer than the indicated cooking time for the pasta. If using the Jovial gluten-free elbows, I cook for about 12-13 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and add the plant-based cheeses. Stir until mixed well.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Mac N Cheese, Dairy Free