A twist on the traditional; spice up the season; dare to be different with this Cardamom Persimmon Pie.
This dessert is a new take on the traditional apple pie. It calls for Fuyu Persimmons, which originate from Asia. They are a popular fruit in Iran and called “Khormaloo,” which translates into “date-plum.” The recipe also uses cardamom, which is a popular spice in Iranian desserts.
Make sure you are using Fuyu (short and tomato shaped) persimmons and not the Hachiyas (large and acorn shaped) persimmons.
This recipe calls for dairy-free, vegan butter. My preferred brands are Earth Balance and Miyoko’s.
This recipe for the filling is easy and simple, and you can use your favorite vegan pie crust recipe or buy a ready-made vegan pie crust (for example Immaculate Baking or Wholly Wholesome). My favorite vegan pie crust recipe is from Nora Cooks. You will need two 9-inch pie crusts; one is for the lattice design for the top of the pie. You can find helpful instructional videos online on how to do the lattice design.
We hope you give this plant-based pie a try this holiday season.
“The person who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The person who walks alone is likely to find himself in places no one has ever seen before.” – Albert EinsteinPrint
Vegan Cardamom Persimmon Pie
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A delicious twist on the traditional apple pie with Fuyu persimmons
- Two 9-inch vegan pie crusts (store bought or homemade – SEE NOTES)
- 7 medium Fuyu persimmons (peeled and thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Melt vegan butter in a medium saucepan.
- Add the all-purpose flour, white sugar, brown sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, and cardamom. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until thickened and sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Place one 9-inch pie crust in a 9-inch pie plate. Fill with sliced persimmons. Add the sugar mixture, and combine with a spoon.
- Use the other 9-inch pie crust to cut into strips and create the lattice design over the top of the pie.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350 F, and continue baking until crust is golden brown, about 40 minutes more.
You can use your favorite vegan pie crust recipe or buy a ready-made vegan pie crust (for example Immaculate Baking or Wholly Wholesome). My favorite vegan pie crust recipe is from Nora Cooks.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Dessert
Keywords: Vegan, Dairy-free, Egg-free, pie, persimmon, holiday, cardamom, dessert