Karafs is “celery” in Persian. Khoresh-e-Karafs is a celery stew that is flavorful, tangy and delicious. Even my kids like this dish! It is very similar to Khoresh-e-Ghormeh Sabzi as it is also made with cilantro and parsley. This dish, however, also has mint leaves.
Like every Persian Khoresh, this dish is traditionally made with meat. We replaced the meat with shredded jackfruit.
To add additional protein, we also include legumes in this recipe. My mom prefers to include red kidney beans, but I prefer black-eyed peas to give our food more variety. Feel free to use whichever legume is preferred.
Persian Khoresh is served with Persian rice and tahdig. We hope you enjoy this recipe!Print
Khoresh-e-Karafs with Jackfruit
- Total Time: 2 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 people 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A Persian Celery Stew with Jackfruit.
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 20 oz canned jackfruit
- 1 celery bunch (including its leaves)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Dash turmeric
- 5 Tbsp. brewed saffron
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup dry black-eyed peas or kidney beans (soaked in warm water for 1-2 hours before cooking)**
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil (divided)
**If you are limited on time, you can also use 15 oz canned beans (washed and drained).
- Drain 20 oz can of jackfruit and wash the jackfruit. Squeeze the jackfruit dry using a cheesecloth or other kitchen towel. Pull apart the jackfruit and remove any loose seeds. Set aside.
- Remove celery leaves from the celery stalks.
- Wash and clean the Herbs and celery leaves. Pat dry or use salad spinner. Finely chop the Herbs and celery leaves. You can also use a food processor.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add the Herbs and celery leaves and sauté until soft (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
- Cut the celery stalks into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add celery and sauté until soft. Mix with the sautéed Herbs, and set aside.
- In a medium stockpot on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. When hot, add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Add sautéed Herbs and celery, the legumes, and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on medium/low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the brewed saffron and lemon juice. Add more water as needed. Cover and cook another 30-45 minutes until ingredients are well-blended and celery is tender.
- Noosh-e-Jaan! (Enjoy)
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Iranian, Persian, Plant-based, Khoresh, Karafs, Celery, Vegetarian, Jackfruit