A Persian Celery Stew with Jackfruit.
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 20 oz canned jackfruit
- 1 celery bunch (including its leaves)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Dash turmeric
- 5 Tbsp. brewed saffron
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup dry black-eyed peas or kidney beans (soaked in warm water for 1-2 hours before cooking)**
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil (divided)
**If you are limited on time, you can also use 15 oz canned beans (washed and drained).
- Drain 20 oz can of jackfruit and wash the jackfruit. Squeeze the jackfruit dry using a cheesecloth or other kitchen towel. Pull apart the jackfruit and remove any loose seeds. Set aside.
- Remove celery leaves from the celery stalks.
- Wash and clean the Herbs and celery leaves. Pat dry or use salad spinner. Finely chop the Herbs and celery leaves. You can also use a food processor.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add the Herbs and celery leaves and sauté until soft (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
- Cut the celery stalks into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add celery and sauté until soft. Mix with the sautéed Herbs, and set aside.
- In a medium stockpot on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. When hot, add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the jackfruit, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir and sauté for 5-10 minutes.
- Add sautéed Herbs and celery, the legumes, and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on medium/low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the brewed saffron and lemon juice. Add more water as needed. Cover and cook another 30-45 minutes until ingredients are well-blended and celery is tender.
- Noosh-e-Jaan! (Enjoy)
- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Iranian, Persian, Plant-based, Khoresh, Karafs, Celery, Vegetarian, Jackfruit