Bamieh is “okra” and Khoresh-e-Bamieh is a Persian okra stew. I remember my aunt’s Koresh-e-Bamieh growing up! While it is traditionally made with beef or lamb, my aunt made it vegetarian, and it was delicious.
Okra is a fruit but is utilized as a vegetable in cooking. While it is often overlooked, it actually has many nutrients and health benefits, including vitamin C, vitamin K, and antioxidants.
Okra pods can become slimy. To avoid this, we recommend buying the okra small and cooking them whole or cutting them just once into large pieces.
This is one of the easier Persian dishes, and we hope you enjoy this recipe!
There is also a sweet dessert called bamieh, which is a Persian fried dessert that is crunchy on the outside and soft and moist on the inside. A vegan version of that dessert will have to be another blog post.Print
Khoresh-e-Bamieh (Persian Okra Stew)
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 4 1x
A Persian okra stew with a little heat.
- 2 dozen okra (ends trimmed and cut once in half if they are large)
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Serrano chili pepper (end trimmed and cut in half) – optional to add heat
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz package mushrooms (stem removed and roughly chopped)
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (pureed in a blender)
- 1 Tbsp Brewed Saffron
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (divided)
- Add 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil to a large pan on medium heat. Add the okra. Add the Brewed Saffron. Sauté the okra for about 10 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil to a medium pot on medium heat. Add the shallot. Sauté until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and Serrano chili pepper (optional) to the pot. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and cook on medium/low heat for 30-35 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add 1 cup water and the sautéed okra.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat back to medium/low and simmer for another 20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until the stew and flavors are well blended.
- Serve over Persian rice.
- Noosh-e-Jan! (Enjoy!)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-based, Persian, Iranian, Okra, Stew, Khoresh Bahmieh