A Persian okra stew with a little heat.
- 2 dozen okra (ends trimmed and cut once in half if they are large)
- 1 medium shallot finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 Serrano chili pepper (end trimmed and cut in half) – optional to add heat
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 8 oz package mushrooms (stem removed and roughly chopped)
- 4 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 large ripe tomatoes (pureed in a blender)
- 1 Tbsp Brewed Saffron
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil (divided)
- Add 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil to a large pan on medium heat. Add the okra. Add the Brewed Saffron. Sauté the okra for about 10 minutes until slightly browned. Set aside.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil to a medium pot on medium heat. Add the shallot. Sauté until golden (about 5 minutes).
- Add the garlic and Serrano chili pepper (optional) to the pot. Sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, black pepper, paprika, cinnamon and salt.
- Add the mushrooms and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the pureed tomatoes and cook for about 5-10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook another 5 minutes.
- Add 2 cups water and cook on medium/low heat for 30-35 minutes (stirring occasionally).
- Add 1 cup water and the sautéed okra.
- Increase the heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat back to medium/low and simmer for another 20 minutes (stirring occasionally) until the stew and flavors are well blended.
- Serve over Persian rice.
- Noosh-e-Jan! (Enjoy!)
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-based, Persian, Iranian, Okra, Stew, Khoresh Bahmieh