We are excited to share our first recipe on our blog – Salad Olivieh. It is simple, delicious, and a great lunch option for kids.
I grew up eating Salad Olivieh, but traditional Salad Olivieh has eggs and chicken. It is exciting to create a plant-based version that I can enjoy again and share with my kids. This has become our must-have item for family picnics and road trips. This recipe uses tofu, garbanzo beans, and vegan mayonnaise to create a plant-based Salad Olivieh packed with protein.
We usually make a batch of Salad Olivieh once a week, and we use it to make lunch-time sandwiches. My kids and I prefer to eat Salad Olivieh plain on toast, but my mom adds additional fixin’s like lettuce and tomato to her sandwich! Either way, this recipe is delicious and hearty!Print
Vegan Salad Olivieh
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A vegan Persian Chick’n Salad
- 14 oz tofu (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and washed*
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onion (whole onion may be used)
- 3/4 cup cooked green peas
- 3 large pickles finely chopped (Persian pickles preferred)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan mayo (We like Vegenaise or Just Mayo)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 5 tsp. lemon or lime juice
- Press tofu (at least 30 min) to remove excess water from the tofu.
- Place garbanzo beans in a large bowl and mash (with a masher).
- Add tofu to the bowl and mash further (with a masher).
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well blended (We recommend using your hands at this point to properly blend the ingredients).
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If desired, use a little vegan mayo to smooth the top of the dish, and add a garnish.
- Noosh-e-Jan! (Enjoy)
The liquid from the can of garbanzo beans can be saved for separate use as an egg replacer – Aquafaba. See our post on egg replacers.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian
Keywords: Plant-based, Vegan, Persian, Iranian, Salad Olivieh