A vegan Persian Chick’n Salad
- 14 oz tofu (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and washed*
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onion (whole onion may be used)
- 3/4 cup cooked green peas
- 3 large pickles finely chopped (Persian pickles preferred)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan mayo (We like Vegenaise or Just Mayo)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 5 tsp. lemon or lime juice
- Press tofu (at least 30 min) to remove excess water from the tofu.
- Place garbanzo beans in a large bowl and mash (with a masher).
- Add tofu to the bowl and mash further (with a masher).
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well blended (We recommend using your hands at this point to properly blend the ingredients).
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If desired, use a little vegan mayo to smooth the top of the dish, and add a garnish.
- Noosh-e-Jan! (Enjoy)
The liquid from the can of garbanzo beans can be saved for separate use as an egg replacer – Aquafaba. See our post on egg replacers.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian
Keywords: Plant-based, Vegan, Persian, Iranian, Salad Olivieh