My mom created this recipe after tasting one of the frozen meals I would buy to eat during lunch at work. 🙂
This recipe, of course, is a better, fresher, healthier version and is now one of my favorite dishes. When my mom cooks for my family, I often ask her to make this dish. I love the blend of flavors, the heartiness of the ingredients, and the texture of the tofu.
The “Chutney” can be made in advance and kept in the freezer for future use. Note, this is the same “Chutney” used in our Vegetable Biryani recipe.
This dish is a little spicy so we top with kite hill plain almond yogurt to balance out the spice. This can be served with rice or naan.Print
A protein packed, plant-based curry
- 4 garlic heads
- 5 Serrano chili
- 2 medium sized gingers
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup red lentils (soaked for 1 hour before using)
- 14 oz package firm tofu (pressed for at least 30 minutes)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil (divided)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. gram masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. dried cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- 3 medium tomatoes puréed in blender
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes (washed, peeled, and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- Prepare “Chutney”
- Peel ginger and garlic heads
- Wash and dry cilantro and serrano chili
- Add all “Chutney” ingredients together in a food processor and blend well.
- Prepare Tofu
- Cut tofu into small cubes.
- Prepare tofu marinade – 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. corn starch, 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and a dash of salt and turmeric.
- Marinate for 1 hour.
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil to a non-stick pan on medium heat. Let it heat for 1 minute. Add tofu, and sauté tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
- Fill a small pot with water and cook red lentils for 10 minutes on medium/high heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil to a medium pot on medium heat. Add red onion and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add the Chutney and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the spices, dried cilantro, tomato sauce and tomato purée and sauté for 3 min.
- Add the potatoes, the cooked red lentil and the water. Cover and cook on medium/low for 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen green peas and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the sautéed tofu and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Indian, Curry, vegetarian