A protein packed, plant-based curry
“Chutney” (see Chutney directions below)
- 4 garlic heads
- 5 Serrano chili
- 2 medium sized gingers
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1 cup red lentils (soaked for 1 hour before using)
- 14 oz package firm tofu (pressed for at least 30 minutes)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil (divided)
- 1 Tbsp. corn starch
- 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 small red onion diced
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. gram masala
- 1 tsp. coriander powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. dried cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. tomato sauce
- 3 medium tomatoes puréed in blender
- 2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes (washed, peeled, and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of frozen green peas
- Prepare “Chutney”
- Peel ginger and garlic heads
- Wash and dry cilantro and serrano chili
- Add all “Chutney” ingredients together in a food processor and blend well.
- Prepare Tofu
- Cut the pressed tofu into small cubes.
- Prepare tofu marinade – 1 Tbsp. olive oil, 1 Tbsp. corn starch, 1/2 Tbsp. lemon juice, and a dash of salt and turmeric.
- Marinate for 1 hour.
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil to a non-stick pan on medium heat. Let it heat for 1 minute. Add tofu, and sauté tofu until golden brown. Set aside.
- Fill a small pot with water, and cook red lentils for 10 minutes on medium/high heat. Drain, and set aside.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil to a medium pot on medium heat. Add the red onion and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes).
- Add 2-3 Tbsp. of the Chutney, and sauté for another 2 minutes.
- Add all the spices, salt, dried cilantro, tomato sauce, and the tomato purée, and sauté for 3 min.
- Add the water, chopped potatoes, and the cooked red lentil. Cover and cook on medium/low for 10 minutes.
- Add the frozen green peas, and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the sautéed tofu, and cook uncovered for 5 more minutes.
The remaining unused Chutney may be stored in the refrigerator or freezer for future use.
- Prep Time: 90 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Indian, Curry, vegetarian, tofu