Mirza Ghasemi is a delicious roasted eggplant and tomato dish. It is eaten with Persian bread as an appetizer or with Persian rice as a main dish. It is traditionally made with eggs, but our vegan version uses “Just Egg,” which is a fantastic egg replacer made from mung bean.
Mirza Ghasemi is a dish originating from Northern Iran. It was invented by and named after Mohammad Qasim Khan, the former governor of Rasht, a county along the Caspian Sea in Gilan Province.
Stay tuned for recipes on preparing Persian bread!
“Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself.” – RumiPrint
A Persian “Just Egg” and eggplant scramble
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 large ripe tomatoes
- 1/2 large onion julienned
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3/4 cup Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
Prepare Roasted Eggplant
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Place long skewers through the eggplants and place on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes (turning over half way through).
- Add roasted eggplants to a bowl of ice water. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Peel the skin off the eggplants. Remove the stems off the peeled eggplants. Mash the peeled eggplants (with a fork or masher). Set aside.
Prepare Cooked Tomatoes
- Fill a medium pot with water, and add the ripe tomatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked tomatoes to a bowl of ice water. Let sit for 1 minute.
- Peel the skin off the tomatoes. Remove the core. Mash the tomatoes (with a fork or masher). Set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp cooking oil to a large pan on medium/high heat. Add the onion and sauté 3-4 minutes until golden.
- Add the garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
- Add the turmeric, salt, and black pepper. Combine.
- Add the mashed eggplant, and sauté for 5-7 minutes.
- Add the mashed tomatoes, cover, and cook for another 10 minutes on medium heat (stirring occasionally).
- Add the Just Egg, and stir to combine. Let the Just Egg cook (about 5 minutes).
- Add additional salt and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with Persian bread or pita bread.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Persian, Iranian, Plant-based, Mirza Ghasemi, egg-free, Just Egg