KooKoo Sabzi is one of my favorite dishes to eat. It can be made into a sandwich with fixin’s or eaten alone (similar to a frittata). I love it wrapped in warm lavash bread along side a bowl of Persian Ash-e-Reshteh. It is delicious and flavorful.
Traditionally, KooKoo Sabzi is made with eggs. My mom and I discovered “Just Egg” (an egg replacer made with mung bean) last summer. We went to brunch and saw on the restaurant menu a frittata made with “eggs made from plants.” We both tried it and loved it. Ever since, we have been trying to cook with Just Egg as an egg replacer.
Below is our recipe for KooKoo Sabzi using Just Egg.
A savory Persian frittata made with herbs and Just Egg.
- 1 bunch green onions (using the whole onion)
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 medium Russet potato
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 bottle of Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil
- Wash the green onions, cilantro, and parsley (collectively called the “Sabzi”). Remove excess water with a salad spinner. Pat dry with a paper towel, and lay out to continue to dry while completing next step.
- Wash, peel and chop the potato into 4 quarters. Place in small pot filled with water. Cover and cook on high heat for 10-15 minutes until potato is cooked and tender.
- Remove any thick stems from the parsley and cilantro. Cut the ends from the green onions. Finely chop the Sabzi.
- Once the potato is cooked, drain the pot, rinse the potato under cold water and let the potato cool down 10 minutes.
- Mash the cooled down potato with a potato masher. Add to the finely chopped Sabzi and mix together.
- Add turmeric, salt, pepper, and baking powder to the Sabzi and potato mixture. Mix the ingredients until well blended.
- Shake the bottle of Just Egg well and add to the mixture. Mix together ingredients until well blended.
- Add the cooking oil to a medium non-stick pan on medium heat. Wait 1 minute for the oil to heat.
- Add the mixture to the pan.
- Cover and cook on medium/low for about 15 minutes until the mixture is firm.
- Cut the mixture into 4 quadrants and flip over each quadrant. Continue to cook (uncovered) another 10 minutes until cooked throughout.
- Noosh-e-Jan (Enjoy)!
- While the recipe itself is simple, the key to this recipe is the slow cooking process to prevent the KooKoo Sabzi from burning and ensure the Just Egg is cooked throughout.
- Make sure to shake the Just Egg bottle well before using.
- Use a non-stick pan to prevent the Just Egg from sticking to the pan.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Persian, Iranian, Kuku, KooKoo, Sabzi