A Saffron, Rosewater Rice Pudding
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- Wash the Basmati Rice and soak overnight
- 8 cups water
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2 cups sugar (can adjust to your taste)
- 3 Tbsp plant-based butter (I recommend Miyokos)
- 4 Tbsp rosewater
- 1/2 tsp ground saffron dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- pistachios and or almonds
- To remove the skin from the pistachios or almonds, soak in hot water for 30 minutes.
- Wash the Basmati rice.
- Soak the Basmati rice in a bowl of water overnight. You want the rice to be very soft before you begin cooking it.
- In a large pot, add the 8 cups of water, the soaked rice, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat to medium, partially cover the pot, and cook for 60 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- After the 60 minutes, the rice should be soft and the mixture thicker.
- Prepare the saffron mixture (1/2 tsp ground saffron dissolved in 2 Tbsp hot water).
- Add the sugar, plant-based butter, saffron mixture, slivered almonds, and rosewater.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and cook for another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- The rice mixture should be thick and creamy. If it has excess liquid, continue to cook on low heat, uncovered. Note, the rice mixture will also harden as it cools down.
- Place the rice mixture in serving bowls. Garnish as desired. Let cool before serving.
- Prep Time: Overnight
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Dessert, Rosewater, Sholeh Zard, vegan, plant-based, rice pudding, dairy-free