A Plant-Based version of the Walnut-filled Persian Pastry
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup plain, unsweetened, plant-based yogurt (we recommend Kitehill)
- 1 Egg Replacer
- Combine 1 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer and 2 Tbsp water
- 3 cups All-Purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup ground walnuts
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp rose water
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Combine the 1/2 cup oil and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl, and mix with a whisk.
- I recommend combining in a stand mixer and using the whisk attachment. This will be helpful for step 4 if you have a dough hook attachment as well.
- Add the plant-based yogurt and egg-replacer, and combine with a whisk. These are the “Wet Ingredients.”
- In a separate bowl, combine the all-purpose flour and baking powder. These are the “Dry Ingredients.”
- Slowly add the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients.
- If you have a stand mixer, combine with the dough hook attachment. Otherwise, slowly combine the Dry Ingredients to the Wet Ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the dough, and let it rest at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a food processor, grind the walnuts until you have 1/2 cup ground walnuts.
- Move the ground walnuts to a small bowl. Add the cardamom, cinnamon, 1/2 cup sugar and rosewater. Combine. Set aside the walnut filling.
- Once the dough is ready, roll out the dough on a well-floured surface until about 1/4 inch thick.
- Use a cookie cuter (about 3 inches in diameter) to cut circular shapes.
- Slightly stretch each circular dough, add 1/2 tsp walnut filling in the middle, and press together the dough at the top to seal it into a ball shape.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before dusting with powdered sugar.
- Noosh-e-Jan! Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Dessert, Rosewater, dairy-free, egg-free, vegan, plant-based, Qottab, Ghottab