A flavorful Persian eggplant dip, delicious served with warm bread as an appetizer.
- 1 large eggplant (or several small ones as pictured)
- 3 Tbsp. and 1 tsp. Oil (divided)
- 1/2 medium yellow onion thinly julienned
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. turmeric (divided)
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. dry mint (you can get this at the Persian store) (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts (for garnish)
- 1/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond yogurt (we recommend KiteHill brand)
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. water
- Preheat air fryer to 380 F.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp. oil to a medium bowl. Add egg plant and fully coat.
- Cook eggplant in air fryer for 20 minutes, turning eggplant over halfway through the cooking time.
- Fill a medium bowl with ice water. Add eggplant and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Remove the eggplant stem and gently peel the eggplant.
- Mash the eggplant in a bowl with a fork. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp. oil to a medium pot on medium/high heat. Add the onion, and fry the onion until golden. Add 1/2 tsp. turmeric and fry another 1-2 minutes. Set aside 3 Tbsp. of the fried onion for the garnish.
- Add the mashed eggplant to the pot with the fried onion and fry 2-3 minutes. Add 1/2 cup water, 1 tsp. salt, and 1/4 tsp. black pepper, stir, cover, and cook on medium/low heat for 10 minutes. Add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup water if needed.
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil to a small pan. Add the garlic and fry on medium/high heat until golden. Add 1/2 tsp. turmeric and fry another 1-2 minutes.
- Take 1 Tbsp. of the fried garlic, and add to the pot with the mashed eggplant mixture. Set aside the rest of the fried garlic for garnish.
- In the same small pan you fried the garlic, add 1 tsp. oil, and fry the dried mint over medium/high heat for 2-3 minutes. Set aside the fried mint for garnish.
- Prepare the Vegan Kashk – Combine almond yogurt, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and water and mix.
- Set aside about 1-2 Tbsp of the Vegan Kashk for garnish. Add the rest of the Vegan Kashk to the pot with the mashed eggplant mixture. Stir to combine and remove from heat.
- Put the mashed eggplant mixture in a medium bowl, and garnish with the fried onion, fried garlic, fried mint, chopped walnuts. Add a little water to the Vegan Kashk that was set aside and drizzle to garnish.
- Serve with warm bread!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Appetizer
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Persian, Iranian, Plant-Based, Kashk, Bademjan,