A unique twist on a Persian cabbage rice dish
- 1 14 oz package extra-firm tofu (pressed for 20 minutes to remove excess liquid)
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp of soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 medium cabbage head, thinly sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp of Brewed Saffron
- 3 cups Basmati rice (washed)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron
- Flour tortilla for tahdig
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Prepare “Tofu Marinade”
- Add the pressed tofu to the marinade and use your hands or a fork to break apart the tofu into crumbles and combine well with the marinade.
- Put the marinated tofu crumbles on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes (stirring the tofu in the middle of the cooking time). Set aside.
Prepare Sauteed Cabbage
- Add 2 Tbsp of oil to a large sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the shredded cabbage and sauté until golden (about 20 minutes).
- Add the Brewed Saffron and salt. Keep sautéing another 5-10 minutes.
- Add the baked tofu to the sauteed cabbage, and set aside.
Prepare Basmati Rice
- Fill a large pot with water (3/4 full) over high heat.
- Add the salt and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, add the Basmati rice and cook (uncovered) for 10 minutes.
- Drain the rice.
Combine Basmati Rice with Cabbage Mixture
- Add 1 Tbsp oil and 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron to the bottom of a large Persian rice cooker or non-stick pot with lid.
- Add the flour tortilla (or a medium Russet potato, washed, peeled and cut into 4-5 slices for traditional tahdig).
- Add a layer of half the Basmati rice.
- Add the cabbage and tofu mixture.
- Add the remaining Basmati rice.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes in the Persian rice cooker (if using a non-stick pot, cook covered for 50-55 minutes on medium/low heat).
- Stir to combine the Persian rice mixture before serving.
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Persian, Iranian, Vegetarian, Vegan, Iranian, Plant-based, Polo, Kalam, Cabbage, Tofu