A Persian Dill and Fava Bean Rice Dish
- 3 cups Basmati rice
- 3 Tbsp. salt
- 14 oz package frozen fava beans*
- 3 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil (divided)
- 1 small yellow onion julienned
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. dried dill
- 6 Tbsp. dry Sabzi Polo mix**
*Fava beans can be difficult to find. My mother usually goes to a Persian or Asian specialty store to buy fava beans. If not accessible, you could also replace it with lima beans.
** Dry Sabzi Polo mix can be found at Persian, Afghan or other specialty stores. I have even found it on Amazon.
- Prepare Persian Rice
- Wash over the rice by placing the rice in a large bowl and covering with water. Move the rice with your hand to clean the rice. Pour off the water. Repeat the process 3-4 times until the rice is clean.
- Fill a large stock pot with water. Add 3 Tbsp. salt. Cover and bring to a boil on high heat. Add rice to the boiling water. Reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 8 minutes.
- Add the frozen bag of fava beans to the rice. Cook for 2 more minutes.
- Drain the rice and fava beans. Place in a large bowl.
- Prepare Garlic/Onion Mixture
- Add 2 Tbsp. oil to a medium sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for 5-6 min until onions are golden.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric and black pepper and sauté 1 min more.
- Combine Persian Rice and Garlic/Onion Mixture and Herbs
- Add the Garlic/Onion mixture to the rice and fava beans. Mix well.
- Add dry Sabzi Polo mix and dill. Mix well.
- Add 1 Tbsp. water, 1 Tbsp. oil and a dash of turmeric to bottom of large rice cooker (or large non-stick pot with lid). Add rice mixture. Add 1/2 Tbsp. oil on top of the rice.
- Cover and cook 45 minutes in the rice cooker (or 45 minutes in a non-stick pot on medium heat).
- Enjoy! Noosh-e-Jan!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Persian, Iranian, Rice, vegetarian, Sabzi Polo