A Vegan Persian Pasta
- 1 small yellow onion julienned
- 4 garlic cloves julienned
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms
- 1 broccoli head julienned
- 2 carrots julienned
- 24 oz jar of plain spaghetti sauce
- 1 package of spaghetti (or other pasta of choice)
- Cooking oil
- 1 potato washed, peeled and cut into 4–5 slices
- 1 Tbsp. oil
- 2 Tbsp. water
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- Prepare Sauce
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil in a large pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté until golden.
- Add garlic and sauté another 1 minute.
- Add turmeric, black pepper, oregano and salt.
- Add broccoli and carrots, and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are caramelized.
- Add jar of spaghetti sauce. Simmer on medium/low heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare Pasta
- Prepare pasta according to its package instructions. Drain pasta.
- Layer Pasta and Sauce
- Add 1 Tbsp. oil, 2 Tbsp. water, 1/4 tsp. turmeric to bottom of Persian rice cooker (or large non-stick pot with a lid).
- Add sliced potato at the bottom of the pot.
- Layer the pasta over the sliced potatoes, layer sauce, and continue layering with the sauce as the last layer.
- Cook 45-50 minutes in the rice cooker. (If cooking in a non-stick pot, cook for 45-50 minutes on medium/low heat).
- To serve, hold a serving platter tightly over the pot and flip over to release the entire pasta dish onto the platter with the tahdig on top.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 90 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian