A savory plant-based pot pie
- 2 Tbsp high-heat oil (such as grapeseed oil)
- 1/2 large white onion (chopped finely)
- 3–4 celery stalks (diced small)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 6 Tbsp all-purpose flour (plus more for dusting)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 10 oz bag frozen peas and chopped carrot blend
- 10 oz package Gardein Chick’n Scallopini (slightly defrosted and chopped into small 1 inch cubes)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 package vegan pie crust (2 crusts per pack) – I use Immaculate Baking brand at Whole Foods
- Melted vegan butter, as needed
- Preheat oven to 420 F.
- Heat a large stockpot over high heat. Add the oil and wait until it shimmers. Add the onion and celery and cook until translucent.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add flour and stir until well incorporated.
- Add broth and stir. Simmer until filling has thickened.
- Stir in the frozen peas and carrots and cubed Chick’n Scallopini, and cook 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside to slightly to cool.
- Set out 6 entrée-sized ramekins.* On a slightly floured surface, roll out the vegan pie crust. Cut 1/2 inch larger than the ramekins.
- Brush a little melted vegan butter on top of the dough.
- Spoon the filling into the ramekins, within 1/4 inch from the top.
- Cover the ramekins with the pie crust, butter side up. Crimp the edges with your fingers. Make a few small slits in the pie crust.
- Place the ramekins on a baking sheet, and bake for about 20 minutes or until the crust is golden.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
* I have also used this recipe to make one (double crusted) chick’n pot pie in a pie dish. I just adjust the cooking time to allow for the crust to brown and crisp.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Dish
- Cuisine: Holidays
Keywords: Vegan, vegetarian, tofu, pot pie, holidays