A hearty, protein-filled soup from the Sangesar region.
- 1 tsp. oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion julienned
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cumin powder
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup wheat (you can get this from the Persian store – soaked in hot water 3 hours)
- 1/2 cup dry garbanzo (rinsed and soaked in hot water 3 hrs)
- 1/2 cup dry pinto beans (rinsed and soaked in hot water 3 hrs)
- 1/2 cup dry black-eyed peas (rinsed and soaked in hot water 3 hrs)
- 1/2 cup lentils (rinsed and soaked in hot water 3 hrs)
- 4 cups water (plus more as needed)
- Lemon juice to taste
- In a large pot on medium heat, add the oil. Add the onion and sauté for 5 minutes until translucent.
- Add the garlic, salt, cumin powder, and black pepper, and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Add the wheat and 4 cups water, cover and cook for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Drain the garbanzo and pinto beans. Add to the pot and cook another 30 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add more water as needed.
- Drain the black-eyed peas and lentils. Add to the pot and cook another 1 hour. Stir occasionally. Add more water as needed. Cook until you have a hearty soup, not too watery or too thick, and cooked legumes.
- Serve, and add lemon juice to taste.
- Noosh-e-Jan! Enjoy!
- Cook Time: 3 hours
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-based, Persian, Iranian, Soup, Sangesar