A hearty, plant-based Indian curry
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 1 bay leaf
- 6 garlic cloves (smashed into a paste)
- 1 inch ginger knob (smashed into a paste)
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp gram masala
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 small tomatoes, chopped and puréed in a blender
- 3 medium potatoes, chopped small
- 1 cauliflower head chopped into florets
- 1/2 Tbsp dry fenugreek
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Add 1 Tbsp cooking oil to a large pot on medium heat.
- Add cumin seed and bay leaf to the pot and sauté until cumin seed is hot and crackles.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute.
- Add onion and sauté until caramelized (about 4 minutes).
- Add remaining spices (except the dry fenugreek) and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the puréed tomatoes and 1 cup of water. Cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add potatoes and cover the pot. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add cauliflower and fenugreek. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro before serving with rice or naan.
- Noosh-e-Jan (Enjoy)!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Plant-based, Vegan, Indian, Curry