A Persian pickled vegetable side dish
- 2–3 eggplants (washed and roughly chopped – no need to peel)
- 1 cauliflower head (chopped into small 1 inch pieces)
- 16 oz bag of baby carrots (chopped into small 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 celery bunch (leaves removed, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1 cilantro bunch (chopped finely)
- 12 small whole green chili peppers (we use Serrano chili)
- 12 garlic cloves (kept whole)
- 32 oz apple cider vinegar (divided)
- 1/2 Tbsp turmeric
- salt to taste
- Cook the eggplant in 1 cup of water and 3 cups of apple cider vinegar in a medium pot on medium heat for about 1 hour. The eggplant should be cooked and tender. Take off heat, and let the eggplant and vinegar mixture cool. Then mash the cooled eggplant in the pot with a masher. Set aside.
- Mix in a large bowl all the vegetables. Add the mashed eggplant/vinegar mixture. Add the remaining apple cider vinegar. Add 1 cup water. Add the salt and turmeric. Mix well.
- Transfer to individual mason jars. We recommend letting the jars sit at room temperature for at least 4 days for the flavors to blend before using.
- May be stored in the refrigerator or at room temperature – I prefer room temperature.
- Noosh-e-Jan (Enjoy)!
- Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian