A vegan Persian crispy rice dish.
- 14 oz can young/green jackfruit
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp dried barberries
- 1/2 cup Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 cup Kite Hill plain almond yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried barberries
- Slivered pistachios (optional)
- Cook Jackfruit
- Drain can of jackfruit and rinse.
- Bring small pot of water to boil. Add jackfruit to boiling water and cook 40 minutes.
- Drain jackfruit and rinse under cold water.
- When cool, squeeze excess water from jackfruit with a kitchen towel or cheese cloth. Set aside.
- Cook Basmati Rice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp salt.
- Add rice to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain and rinse rice with cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare Tachin Filling
- Add 1.5 Tbsp oil to a medium sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, pepper, and salt. Add 1 Tbsp barberries. Add cooked jackfruit. Cook until golden.
- Prepare Rice Crust
- Combine Just Egg, the Kitehill almond yogurt, and 1/2 cup oil. Add 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron. Mix.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture and mix gently.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine Rice and Tachin Filling
- Grease 10″ glass dish with oil (glass allows you to check on the color underneath).
- Add half the rice mixture and gently pack the rice into the dish with a spoon.
- Scatter the jackfruit mixture over the rice. Top with the remaining rice. Press down with a spoon again, this time more firmly.
- Cover pie dish with foil, and poke 3 holes with a knife.
- Bake for 70 to 85 minutes until rice looks golden underneath.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the barberries garnish. Add 1/2 Tbsp oil to small pan on on low heat. Cook the barberries, stirring often, until plumped slightly and warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove rice from the oven. Let cool 15 minutes; discard foil.
- Loosen the rice around the edges using a knife. Place a large plate on top and invert rice onto plate like a cake.
- Garnish with the cooked barberries and pistachio over the top.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 100 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Persian/Iranian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-based, Persian, Iranian, Tachin, Tacheen, Jackfruit, Recipe, Vegetarian