A challah-inspired, homemade bread perfect for a season filled with delicious stews and comfort foods. Happy Fall, y’all.
Challah bread has a distinctive braid, which symbolizes the coming together of family and friends. It is a bread of celebration in Jewish tradition. I love the slightly-sweet flavor, the golden crust, and the symbolism. A perfect bread for the fall season.
This bread does not last very long in our household. It is also delicious with our Egg-free Frittata recipe – perfect for a plant-based brunch. There has never been an easier time to eat more plants.
Enjoy! And if you like our posts, be sure to subscribe and/or follow along on Instagram @plant_basedpersian.Print
Challah-Inspired, Homemade Bread
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 2 loaves of bread 1x
- Diet: Vegan
A Challah-inspired vegan bread
- 2 (1/4 oz) packets of rapid rise yeast
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tbsp. sea salt
- 7 cups all-purpose flour
- Sesame seeds (black and/or white)
- 6 Tbsp. Aquafaba (as the egg-replacer)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 cup oil
- 2 cups warm water
“Egg-free Egg Wash”
- 2 Tbsp. plain almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Make the “Yeast Mixture”
- Combine the 2 packets of rapid rise yeast, the 2/3 cup sugar, and 2 cups warm water. Cover with a cloth, and let it rise for 10 minutes!
- In a big mixing bowl, beat the 6 Tbsp. Aquafaba. Add 4 cups of the flour, the Yeast Mixture, the vanilla, the sea salt, and the oil. Mix well.
- Add the remaining 3 cups of flour and knead the dough for 5 minutes to get a soft dough!
- Cover with a cloth, and keep the dough in a warm place for 2-3 hrs to let it rise before baking!
- After 2-3 hrs, the dough is now double in size. On a clean surface, spread some flour, put the dough on that surface, and cut the dough in half.
- Take one half of the dough and cut it into 3 equal sizes. Roll each piece into equal size strands. Now braid the strands together by starting from the top – attaching them together and braid till the end.
- Repeat the step above with the other half of the dough.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the two loaves with the Egg-free Egg Wash.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake at 350 F for 30-40 minutes.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Jewish
Keywords: Vegan Challah