If you love Persian Tahdig, you will love Tachin, which is a crispy Persian rice cake. It is traditionally made with several animal products – eggs, dairy, and meat. In today’s world, however, anything can be made vegan, and this vegan Tachin is amazing. We used two of our favorite vegan alternatives, Just Egg and Kite Hill plain almond yogurt, and jackfruit in lieu of meat.
We use canned jackfruit, which is typically in brine. We cooked the jackfruit in advance to remove any of the sourness or tanginess.
This recipe is a more traditional version of Tachin than the recipe we originally posted. It is the ultimate Persian comfort food.
- 14 oz can young/green jackfruit
- Basmati Rice
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 1 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- 2 tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp dried barberries
- 1/2 cup Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1 cup Kite Hill plain almond yogurt
- 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup dried barberries
- Slivered pistachios (optional)
- Cook Jackfruit
- Drain can of jackfruit and rinse.
- Bring small pot of water to boil. Add jackfruit to boiling water and cook 40 minutes.
- Drain jackfruit and rinse under cold water.
- When cool, squeeze excess water from jackfruit with a kitchen towel or cheese cloth. Set aside.
- Cook Basmati Rice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 2 Tbsp salt.
- Add rice to boiling water and cook for 7 minutes.
- Drain and rinse rice with cold water. Set aside.
- Prepare Tachin Filling
- Add 1.5 Tbsp oil to a medium sauté pan on medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add turmeric, pepper, and salt. Add 1 Tbsp barberries. Add cooked jackfruit. Cook until golden.
- Prepare Rice Crust
- Combine Just Egg, the Kitehill almond yogurt, and 1/2 cup oil. Add 2 Tbsp Brewed Saffron. Mix.
- Add the cooked rice to the mixture and mix gently.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Combine Rice and Tachin Filling
- Grease 10″ glass dish with oil (glass allows you to check on the color underneath).
- Add half the rice mixture and gently pack the rice into the dish with a spoon.
- Scatter the jackfruit mixture over the rice. Top with the remaining rice. Press down with a spoon again, this time more firmly.
- Cover pie dish with foil, and poke 3 holes with a knife.
- Bake for 70 to 85 minutes until rice looks golden underneath.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the barberries garnish. Add 1/2 Tbsp oil to small pan on on low heat. Cook the barberries, stirring often, until plumped slightly and warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Remove rice from the oven. Let cool 15 minutes; discard foil.
- Loosen the rice around the edges using a knife. Place a large plate on top and invert rice onto plate like a cake.
- Garnish with the cooked barberries and pistachio over the top.
SERVES 4-5 people