Rajma is the name for red kidney beans in Hindi. Rajma masala is a protein rich, kidney bean curry, traditionally made vegetarian if not vegan (depending on whether dairy or ghee is used). I got this rajma recipe from my law school friend 8 years ago when I first became vegan. She is a great cook, a wonderful mother, and she amazes me with her ability to juggle law firm life.
Her original recipe for rajma was delicious and full of spice. This is a slightly modified version with less heat. If more heat is desired, feel free to increase the “Chutney” or the red chili powder.
Note, the “Chutney” in this recipe is the same as the Chutney in the Tofu Daal Aloo Mattar and Vegetable Biryani recipes on the blog. The Chutney can be made in advance and kept refrigerated for 5-7 days or kept in the freezer for later use.Print
A flavorful, kidney bean curry.
- 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 2 medium ripe tomatoes chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp red chili powder (depending on desired heat)
- (2) 15oz cans organic red kidney beans
- 1/2 of a 15 oz can light coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 lemon squeezed
“Chutney” (See Chutney directions below)
- 2 medium sized gingers
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 4 garlic heads
- 5 Serrano chili
- Prepare “Chutney”
- Peel ginger and garlic heads
- Wash and dry cilantro and Serrano Chili
- Add all “Chutney” ingredients together in a food processor and blend well.
- Add 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil to medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes and 2 Tbsp. Chutney, stir, and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, and red chili powder. Stir and let simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Add the red kidney beans, including the liquid in the cans.
- Add the light coconut milk. Be sure to shake and then stir the can of coconut milk before using.
- Add the salt. Stir all ingredients and let simmer on medium/low for 30 to 45 minutes.
- Add the juice of 1 lemon. Taste and add more coconut milk if it is too spicy. Add more red chili powder if you would like more heat. Add more salt to taste.
- Let simmer another 10 minutes on low heat for flavors to blend well.
- Garnish with finely chopped cilantro. Enjoy over rice, naan, or quinoa.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Indian
Keywords: Vegan, Rajma, Indian Food, Vegetarian