Karafs is “celery” in Persian. Khoresh-e-Karafs is a celery stew that is flavorful, tangy and delicious. Even my kids like this dish! It is very similar to Khoresh-e-Ghormeh Sabzi as it is also made with cilantro and parsley. This dish, however, also has mint leaves.
Like every Persian Khoresh, this dish is traditionally made with meat. We replaced the meat with marinated tofu.
To add additional protein, we also include legumes in this recipe. My mom prefers to include red kidney beans, but I prefer black-eyed peas to give our food more variety. Feel free to use whichever legume is preferred.
Persian Khoresh is served with Persian rice and tahdig. We hope you enjoy this recipe!
“My hope is to leave the world a little better than when I got here.” – Jim HensonPrint
A Persian Celery and Tofu Stew
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 bunch mint leaves
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 3 Tbsp brewed saffron
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp plain plant-based yogurt (we use Kitehill plain almond yogurt)
- 15 oz package extra firm tofu
- 1 celery bunch (including its leaves)
- 1 medium onion thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- Dash turmeric
- 5 Tbsp. brewed saffron
- 5 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup dry black-eyed peas or kidney beans (soaked in warm water for 1-2 hours before cooking)**
- 2 1/2 Tbsp cooking oil (divided)
**If you are limited on time, you can also use 15 oz canned beans (washed and drained).
- Drain 15 oz package extra firm tofu and press for at least 30 minutes.
- Prepare the tofu marinade.
- Chop tofu into small cubes and toss in marinade. Marinate for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- Fry tofu in 2 Tbsp grapeseed oil on medium/high heat heat until crispy and golden on all sides. Set aside.
- Remove celery leaves from the celery stalks.
- Wash and clean the Herbs and celery leaves. Pat dry or use salad spinner. Finely chop the Herbs and celery leaves. You can also use a food processor.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add the Herbs and celery leaves and sauté until soft (about 15 minutes). Set aside.
- Cut the celery stalks into 1/4 inch pieces.
- In a medium sauté pan on medium heat, add 1/2 Tbsp. cooking oil. Add celery and sauté until soft. Mix with the sautéed Herbs, and set aside.
- In a medium stockpot on medium heat, add 1 Tbsp. cooking oil. When hot, add the onion and sauté for 3-5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, salt, and pepper. Stir.
- Add sautéed Herbs and celery, the legumes, and 2 cups water. Cover and cook on medium/low heat for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the brewed saffron and lemon juice. Add more water as needed. Add additional lemon juice to your liking. Cover and cook another 30-45 minutes until ingredients are well-blended and celery is tender.
- Add the tofu to the stew before serving with Persian rice.
- Noosh-e-Jaan! (Enjoy)
- Prep Time: 3 hours
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Iranian/Persian
Keywords: Vegan, Plant-Based, Persian, Iranian, Khoresh-e-Karafs, Celery, vegetarian