We are sharing another recipe using the awesome egg-replacer “Just Egg.” It has been so exciting recreating our favorite foods egg-free. Removing egg from our household was very hard not because we loved eating eggs, but because I did not know how to replace the eggs in our breakfast or some of our favorite Persian dishes. I would just buy the most expensive pasture-raised eggs that Whole Foods had to offer in hopes that the egg-laying hens lived a good life and trying to ignore the chick grinding or suffocating that is ubiquitous in the egg industry.
After my mom and I discovered the egg-replacer “Just Egg”, we stopped buying eggs and have not looked back. Just Egg is made with mung bean. As I mentioned in our KooKoo Sabzi blog post, my mom and I discovered Just Egg when we went to brunch a year ago and saw on the menu a frittata with “eggs made from plants.” We ordered the frittata, loved it, and went home and tried to recreate it.
Below is the frittata recipe we developed and eat for breakfast almost every weekend! We hope you enjoy it as much as we do!Print
Savory, egg-free frittata
- 1 tsp. cooking oil
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium/small sweet potato, peeled and chopped small
- 1 cup chopped mushroom
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped broccoli
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1 bottle Just Egg (egg replacer)
- 1/2 cup grated Violife feta cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Add oil to medium cast iron skillet on medium heat.
- Add the red onion and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and sauté 3-5 minutes.
- Add all the remaining vegetables.
- Add the salt, pepper, and turmeric. Sauté until the sweet potatoes are semi-tender. About 5-7 minutes. Turn off heat.
- Shake the bottle of Just Egg and add to the cast iron skillet. Stir to blend well.
- Add the grated Violife feta cheese.
- Put in the oven uncovered for approximately 20-25 minutes. The frittata should be firm and slightly golden.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Plant-based, Vegan, Frittata, Just Egg, Breakfast