We are excited to share our first recipe on our blog – Salad Olivieh. It is simple, delicious, and a great lunch option for kids.
I grew up eating Salad Olivieh, but traditional Salad Olivieh has eggs and chicken. It is exciting to create a plant-based version that I can enjoy again and share with my kids. This has become our must-have item for family picnics and road trips. This recipe uses tofu, garbanzo beans, and vegan mayonnaise to create a plant-based Salad Olivieh packed with protein.
We usually make a batch of Salad Olivieh once a week, and we use it to make lunch-time sandwiches. My kids and I prefer to eat Salad Olivieh plain on toast, but my mom adds additional fixin’s like lettuce and tomato to her sandwich! Either way, this recipe is delicious and hearty!
- 14 oz tofu (Firm or Extra Firm)
- 15 oz can of garbanzo beans, drained and washed*
- 3/4 cup finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped green onion (whole onion may be used)
- 3/4 cup cooked green peas
- 3 large pickles finely chopped (Persian pickles preferred)
- 4 Tbsp. vegan mayo (We like Vegenaise or Just Mayo)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 5 tsp. lemon or lime juice
- Press tofu (at least 30 min) to remove excess water from the tofu.
- Place garbanzo beans in a large bowl and mash (with a masher).
- Add tofu to the bowl and mash further (with a masher).
- Add all other ingredients and mix until well blended (We recommend using your hands at this point to properly blend the ingredients).
- Refrigerate at least 30 minutes before serving.
- If desired, use a little vegan mayo to smooth the top of the dish, and add a garnish.
- Noosh-e-Jan! (Enjoy)
SERVES 6 people